We thank Another Voice for these strategies to use especially when we are beset with negativity in a polarised ecclesial environment.
(1) Truly believe and act on the belief that the Spirit speaks to and through everyone in the church, and that the hierarchy must listen to more people than just themselves.
(2) Be anchored in contemporary life not in an antiquated vision and cultural understanding of the human person that is more medieval than modern.
(3) Continue to educate yourself and insist on continuing education for everyone in the church, starting with your local bishop. Everyone needs a better understanding of Sacred Scripture, of Christian tradition, and contemporary psychological and socio-cultural understandings of the human person in all its variety and richness.
(4) Practice the way of Jesus that calls us to mutual respect for everyone in the church. At the same time, dialogue, question, and challenge perceptions and beliefs that appear to be unfounded, antiquated, or simply wrong.
(5) Understand that the old RCC status quo is finished. The church is headed down a new road; and there will be bumps along the way.
(6) Realize that being critical is also the way to be constructve.
(7) Realize that speaking the critical word is not enough. We need to be prophetc change agents, or just keep quiet and let those who have learned nothing from history take control.